Harford County Health Department’s Medical Assistance Transportation Division is located at 120 S. Hays Street, Bel Air, Maryland 21014, and can be reached by phone at 410-638-1671; by fax at 443-643-0344. TTY users call via Maryland Relay.
Hours of Operation for Scheduling Transportation
Hours for Scheduling Appointments
Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. (except holidays and furlough days)
Hours of Operation for Cab/Sedan Service
Monday-Friday 5:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
(Saturday and Sunday transportation available for Kidney Dialysis and Chemotherapy only)
The Medical Assistance Transportation grant program is funded by the State of Maryland and coordinates transportation services for Medical Assistance recipients who reside in Harford County, and need transportation to access medically necessary services. This program provides “last resort” transportation for Medical Assistance recipients who have no other means available to get to and from medical appointments. This is a service and not an entitlement. Modes of service transportation available include Ambulatory (cab/passenger van), Wheelchair Van, and Ambulance.
This service is available to Harford County residents with eligible, non-restrictive Medical Assistance (Medicaid) coverage. It provides transportation to medical services that are covered by Medical Assistance and for which there is no other means of transportation.
The Transportation Questionnaire (click here) is required for all recipients. First-time riders are allowed one (1) courtesy transport before receipt of the questionnaire must be submitted.
A Certification Form for Medical Transportation (see below) is required for all clients requesting a specific mode of transportation, or for those not capable of walking or using public transportation to their medical appointment.
Failure to provide either of these documents could cause delay or denial of your transport.
Instructions for Obtaining Transportation
- Make the appointment with your doctor or medical facility.
- Call the Harford County M.A. Transportation division at 410-638-1671 at least two (2) working days before the day of your scheduled appointment. Please make sure you take them into consideration when making your reservations.
- Your ride will arrive approximately: One (1) hour before your scheduled appointment time for LOCAL appointments; Two hours before your appointment time for OUT-OF-COUNTY appointments.
- You must call your provider directly for your return trip if appointment takes longer than one hour. AAA Transport automatically returns after one hour from your scheduled appointment time.
Rules and Regulations
- Clients must live in Harford County.
- Clients must have an active Medical Assistance card.
- Clients must have, upon request, photo identification.
- Clients must NOT HAVE any other means of transportation (this includes other family members or not be within ¾ of a mile from a bus route).
- Clients must make arrangements for transportation at least two (2) working days prior to the day of the scheduled appointment.
- Clients must be going to a MEDICAL appointment covered by the Medical Assistance Program. Services covered by your MCO are NOT necessarily approved by Medical Assistance.
- Clients are NOT permitted to smoke in any vehicle being used for Medical Assistance purposes.
- Client’s services may be suspended at any time for recurring violations (broken appointments). Please remember that this is a service, not an entitlement.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I schedule a ride? Call a HCHD MA Transportation staff member at 410-638-1671, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Call at least 48 hours (2 business days) before the appointment time. Example: If you have a Monday appointment, schedule your ride on the Thursday before. If you have an appointment the day after a State/County holiday, schedule your ride two (2) business days before the holiday.
What if I need urgent, same-day services? Your physician and/or medical caregiver MUST call HCHD MA Transportation to request urgent transportation for same day service.
What if I need to cancel a ride? Contact All American Ambulance and Transport at 301-952-1193 or call HCHD MA Transportation at 410-638-1671. It is important to cancel your scheduled ride as soon as you know that you cannot go to your appointment. When you cancel early, someone else in need may be able to receive a ride.
What happens if I forget to cancel my ride? If you miss rides, you may be required to call and confirm your ride with HCHD MA Transportation one hour before the ride. If missing scheduled rides becomes a habit, you may lose your riding privileges.
What if I have a complaint regarding my ride? Contact the HCHD MA Transportation office so that we can send you a complaint form. In most cases, a response will only be generated upon a receipt of the complaint form.
Can other adults and children ride with me? Adults may have an attendant for assistance, but it must first be approved on a physician’s certification statement. Call the HCHD MA Transportation office to obtain a Provider Certification form, or see below. Children ages 17 and younger with appointments must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Children without appointments cannot come along. We encourage parents to set up routine appointments for all their children at the same time for the same trip.
All American Ambulance and Transport
1315 Marlboro Rd.
Lothian, MD 20711