Location: Thomas Hays Building, 120 South Hays Street, Bel Air, Maryland
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Closed on Holidays
*Please note that Harford County Health Department follows Harford County Government delays and closures during inclement weather. Please visit our home page to see if the health department is open.*
The Harford County Health Department Birth Certificate program provides certified copies of birth certificates to eligible individuals who were born in Maryland and are on the State of Maryland Online System. Harford County Health Department does not have access to make any changes to vital records information. Applicants who need to make changes will need to contact the Division of Vital Records in Baltimore.
Harford County Health Department will issue certified birth certificates for individuals born in Maryland from 1940 to present. The fee is $20.00, cash or credit card only. Personal checks will not be accepted. The application form can be completed at or brought to the Harford County Health Department along with the $20.00 fee when applying for the certificate. You MUST apply in person.
The Following Persons May Apply:
- An individual requesting his/her own birth certificate.
- A parent named on the certificate.
- A court-appointed guardian of the individual named on the certificate. A foster care appointment is not acceptable; proof of guardianship must be submitted.
- A surviving spouse of the individual named on the certificate. Must have copy of deceased spouse death certificate.
- A representative of: (1) the individual or a parent named on the certificate; or (2) the court-appointed guardian of the individual named on the certificate. The representative must have a letter signed by the individual, parent, or guardian, and certified by a notary public, stating that the representative has permission to obtain a copy of the certificate
All applicants must possess one of the following to receive a birth certificate the same day:
- Current driver’s license
- Current ID card issued by the Motor Vehicle Administration
- Current issued passport
- Current U.S. military IF for active service personnel (PX/Base privelege ID is not acceptable)
- Prison photo ID IF it has an issued date and expiration date
Applicants unable to provide a valid photo ID must provide two (2) types of alternative documents. Acceptable documents are as follows:
- Pay stub
- Current car registration
- Current bank statement
- Current lease/rental agreement
- Current property deed
- Copy of tax return
- Copy of a W-2 form
- Letter from a government agency requesting the vital record
- Utility bill with current address (i.e. cable, electric bill, etc.)
At least one (1) of these documents must contain your current mailing address. Applicants unable to provide a valid photo ID will not be able to receive their certificate the same day. Their request will be mailed to the address displayed on the document provided.
The Division of Vital Records in Baltimore will issue certificates for individuals born from 1898 to present. The fee is $24.00. Certificates may be requested in person or by mail. A photocopy of the required identification is to be mailed along with the application.
Division of Vital Records
Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
6500 Reisterstown Road
Baltimore, MD 21215
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Visit their website www.dhmh.md.gov/ for closings
Phone Number: 410-764-3038