You MUST apply in person.
Location: Thomas Hays Building, 120 South Hays Street, Bel Air, Maryland
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
THE FOLLOWING PERSONS MAY APPLY:
- Surviving relative of the deceased
- Authorized representative of a surviving relative of the deceased
- Funeral director who was in charge of the final disposition of the body of the deceased
- An individual who has a proven legal need
- Court of law
You must present a valid, unexpired, government-issued photo ID displaying a date issued and an expiration date. Applicants unable to supply valid photo ID must present two (2) different pieces of alternative documentation. Acceptable documents are as follows:
- pay stub
- current car registration
- current bank statement
- letter from a government agency
- lease/rental agreement
- utility bill with current address
- copy of your income tax return or W-2 form
Cash and credit cards are accepted. Personal checks are NOT accepted.
The fee for the first copy of a death certificate issued by Harford County Health Department is $16.00. All additional copies within the same transaction are $20.00 each.
ORDER BY MAIL/FAX/ON-LINE:
Death certificates may also be obtained from the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Division of Vital Records by mail, fax, or on-line. For further information, visit the “How Do I” section of the Vital Statistics Administration website at http://dhmh.maryland.gov/SitePages/Home.aspx